Thursday, June 26, 2008

I know this is early... and maybe stupid

I was thinking it would be cool to arrange a piece for orchestra. Any suggestions? Honestly, I only have a relatively basic understanding of music theory that is why I am starting now. I was thinking this would be a great project to learn new things on. With that said... what midi/composer programs do you use? I have one that I can do stuff in guitar tabs... but I know I need something better. I've been listening to a lot of Christmas music recently... is it wrong to copy an intro or something I like from another orchestra or group? If I change the key and instruments is that ok? I haven't decided on a song yet... but I'll be looking for one we haven't done... one that is either very melodic or very rythmec in nature. I'll probably be going for a real "clean" sound. Something relatively short also. Maybe this is just another one of my stupid ideas. I'm looking for suggestions and imput...

I know what you are thinking... you get a break from orchestra for a few months and you are doing what?

I was listening to some "Christmas" music recently that had comon melodies in it but it had some odd singing... is it posible to have a "lead instrument" that plays real high and plays the "vocals"? Let me clarify... it wasn't singing it was more like a vocal instrument... I don't know how to describe it but it made for an interesting sound.

:P

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Er... programs? Use Finale Printmusic. It doesn't cost too much. Also, if you want even more comfort and you're serious about doing this, get a usb MIDI keyboard (Best Buy and Circuit City sell them). That would make entry of notes much easier.

Just my opinion: Don't copy stuff from other arrangements, even if you use different instrumentations. You can use general ideas (chord progressions and rhythmic patterns, etc), every composer does some of that.

If you want a real challenge, write your own piece. That would be really cool.

Tyler Weaver said...

I got finale 08 off of a torrent... it's the most confusing program I've used yet. Even mvcpp6 wasn't this bad. But I'll figure it out... that's nbd.

Every thing I've found that I though I wanted to copy... at first it was a good idea... till I thought about it for a while.

I do have a real nice weighted midi keyboard... I just don't know how to connect it to the computer... any ideas?

Sarcastic Sally said...

Duct tape.

Ben&Brit said...

KODOL! Good one, Beth :D

If it's not a USB midi keyboard, you'll need a USB->MIDI adapter.

Here's one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823702002

Keep in mind that unless you play the piano, a MIDI keyboard is a lot harder than setting up the SpeedyEntry tool.

Tyler Weaver said...

I do attempt to play the piano... not like some I know.

:D

Enough to make it easier... all the music theory I know I learned on the piano.